The Activator Technique of chiropractic utilizes an Activator adjusting instrument to treat back and neck pain, problems in the extremities and many other health problems. The Activator is a handheld, spring-loaded instrument that delivers a very precise thrust to an exact location.
The thrust is created by a small, fast movement of the rubberized head of the instrument. This movement allows a chiropractor to precisely control the force that is applied to the spine, shoulders, knees, elbows or other joints.
Older Activators are manual; newer Activators are powered by electricity. Both are effective methods of treatment.
Why the Activator?
The Activator Technique offers many benefits for the patient:
- The Activator is a low-force method of providing a chiropractic adjustment. For babies, seniors and those highly sensitive to pressure or touch, this method can provide a more comfortable adjustment.
- If a patient often tenses up while being adjusted, an adjustment with the Activator may be more successful than a traditional chiropractic adjustment. The speed of the Activator head can allow joint movement to take place before the muscles tense up.
- There is no need for twisting or turning the body or neck which appeals to some patients, particularly those with osteoporosis or who are pregnant.
- The gentle force of the Activator can be applied to a very small area, such as a single vertebra, while most chiropractic techniques are applied to multiple vertebrae or a larger area all at once. Wrists, individual ribs, the shoulder blades and even the bones of the skull can be gently shifted to permit the improved flow of nerve messages or fluids.
- The Activator is effective when used to treat the spine, temporomandibular joint disorders (TMD), neurological disorders, or inflammation, stiffness and pain in any of the extremities.
The Activator Technique is widely-taught and widely-researched. Not every chiropractor is trained in its use. Chiropractors who use this technique extensively have usually completed additional training in its correct use.
Is the Activator Technique the Right Chiropractic Treatment for You?
If you have questions about the Activator instrument, please talk to us. If you are familiar with chiropractic, the Activator instrument could provide you with the most comfortable adjustment you have ever received.
If you are new to this field of healing, you may enjoy the improvement in nerve flow, healing fluid flow and well-being that can be sensed when an adjustment with this instrument is complete.
This is a gentle, low-force method of adjusting. If you are already in pain or experiencing inflammation in your back or joints, the Activator instrument offers treatment that does not aggravate existing pain. With gentle and precise application of small but high-speed movement, normal nerve flow patterns can be restored. This means that tension can finally fade away and healing can accelerate.
At Advanced Chiropractic Services of Lawrence, Holton or Bonner Springs, Kansas, we have perfected a method of utilizing the Activator Instrument to relieve chronic conditions of pain or poor function. Come talk to us if you are looking for a solution to a health problem.